Sunday, September 17, 2017

September 17, 2017
Jake Luton - AP Photo
This proved an interesting weekend. I know, people don't always read these random thoughts, but that does not stop me from wanting to share.

Football is a sport I have loved all of my life (as far back as I can remember). There is a lot of beauty to the sport; there is also a physicality to the sport. With the amount of contact on the field, injuries are just a part of the game. As I watched the Oregon-Wyoming game yesterday, I also had the Oregon State-WSU game on another screen. I kept an eye out on the two teams. Mostly it was about 'scouting' each for two of Oregon's future games this season - but I also just really like watching football.

As a former player, I take absolutely no joy in the injury of anyone; regardless of which team they play for. So when my wife and I saw the hit on Jake Luton we were horrified. To watch him lay motionless, to see the helplessness his family, friends, teammates and coaches must have surely been feeling gave us both a sinking feeling.

I have never been hit quite that hard, though it is almost a certainty that, even playing at Eastern Oregon in the 80's, I have had more than one concussion. Watching yesterday was a strong reminder that, as beautiful as this game is, there is also a certain amount of danger that goes along with it - and that is part of what led me to my muddled thoughts on the topic as I drive home today.

I enjoy good rivalries; but humanity should not be a rivalry. This is a game. Nothing more. A game, played by college kids. It is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. From that perspective, Luton is someone for whom we felt compassion and empathy. We definitely are overjoyed today to hear that he is doing okay and on a fast road to recovery. The moments were scary.

But that brings up a different point. I know that WSU defensive back Jalen Thompson had no ill-intent when he went to assist on the tackle of Luton. By that, I mean I will assume for the sake of humanity, that Thompson was not attempting to injure Luton. I am sure that he felt a lot of regret when Luton was being carted off on a stretcher.

He will serve the same time as any player who commits the foul of targeting. But part of me now wonders of conferences should not have some ability to exact harsher penalties for the more egregious violations of the actions. While he may not have 'wanted' to hurt Luton, when Thompson lowered his shoulder straight toward Luton's head, then extended through contact, he was extremely careless. A solid tackle should never involve using a lowered shoulder and elbow thrust. That is not how tackling is taught in junior league football and it should result in stiff punishment.

I know that WSU fans won't like that thought; but a message needs to be sent to all college players that a tackle is not about a 'big hit' but about solid form, wrapping up and driving forward through the offensive player. There are plenty of examples of this every single Saturday (and Sunday) afternoon. It might be time for conference commissioners to discuss how to do more for increasing safety. Hard hits are okay - a part of the game - but more needs to be done.

If players continue to practice dangerous techniques unchecked, or with minimal negative impact, there will be an injury more significant than a concussion. Will it take a broken neck? A death? What will it take for everyone to begin demanding proper tackling technique?  I sure as hell hope it does not take something like that to change the manner in which defensive players approach their tackling. If it does, the sport we all love will be irreparably harmed.

No SportsCenter moment is worth that.