Saturday, January 1, 2022

January 01, 2022

If you have not guessed it by now, the change we are seeing at Duck Sports Authority is something that I have known about for quite some time.

This has been an interesting season for coverage on many levels. I knew that change was going to come this off-season, but I was unsure what that change was going to look like. I am still not entirely sure what the future will look like for Duck Sports Authority and my work with Rivals - but it will continue on some level.

I first came to this website in 2004 as an effort to help a friend whose son had leukemia; I wanted to talk to some people about one of his wishes and was told I should check out the site. I soon became integrated as a member and loved the interaction; the football talk; and learning a little bit more about recruits.

Some of you may remember my sojourn to South Dakota to work as a volunteer strength coach. Prior to my departure, a good friend Daryl (DiehardDuck) had been running a regular DSA tailgate. When I got back late that season, I discovered that we were no longer hosting one, but wanted to find a way to do that. Some of the best times I have had at DSA were those tailgates during the 2009-2012 seasons. We were packed every week and I remember fondly all of those games; especially poignant were two specific memories. In 2010 when Stanford came to Oregon and GameDay was here, I was on site at 5am and began working on a scratch made jambalaya for the game. The food was fantastic and the game even better.

The other was the tailgate in Phoenix before the National Championship Game against Auburn. We had a large group of great people who made it to Phoenix and had dinner with nearly 50 people the night before the game at a place called ‘The Culinary Dropout.’ The namesake of this message board “FirstDuck” (Dick Busby) and his wife were both a part of that tailgate and I remember fondly the great conversation we shared.

I miss those days when we were all just enjoying the ride without the burden of expectations.

A little over a year later, I stumbled onto a different side of the Lache Seastrunk story and a secondary career began. When I wrote those things down, when I interviewed the Seastrunk family and friends, I had no idea that it would be anything more than a guy telling a story once. I thought that was it – and then my good friend AJ asked if I wanted to write for him more frequently. I enjoy writing and I enjoy football so it gave me the opportunity to do both things for a friend.

That was a decade ago. I could not have asked for a better decade. I have traveled to multiple Rose Bowls, national championships, road games from Virginia to Stanford and just about everywhere in between. In that decade, both of my sons have married, and I have moved across the country – twice. But one thing always remained constant: Duck Sports Authority. My life has changed drastically over the last four years; a lot more responsibility at my day job has precluded many calls to recruits during the day; MBA studies have precluded those calls at night.

At the beginning of this season, though, I talked with my wife about the future and what it might look like. AJ had asked me to be at every home game this year due to some things he needed to take care of and his desire to make sure we had good representation in the press box. As a friend, it was the easiest decision to make. I committed to this season in the booth.

It has been a difficult season; my wife cannot take the late-night games and we have had three of them. I am left driving alone afterward not getting home until around 3:00 am; those days and nights are long, brutal, and lonely. We had discussed drawing back to doing special events only; with me covering the Polynesian Bowl, Rivals Five-Star challenge and maybe bowl games where we can make it into a mini vacation.

And then AJ told me that this would be his last as the publisher of this site. I had known for quite some time that this day was coming, I thought at the beginning of the season that it was very likely to be following this year. Given our friendship and how much of his heart and soul I know he has poured into this site, knowing this day was close at hand, I took some time to think about what the future would look like. I spoke with Ryan Young earlier this week and I know there is a plan in place, but it has to make sense from the perspective of everyone involved. There is definitely a desire to keep our core together and we talked about some things that we think will be very helpful.

I am going to do everything I can with the transition. I really do want to continue covering special events, like the Polynesian Bowl, I may still do three columns per week, or maybe not. That is yet to be decided.. During the season, it is five articles per week plus contributions ahead of each game to joint articles. Given the heavy demands of my day job, the demands of MBA courses and the evolving life of my adult children, the workload has taken a toll on my psyche.

Over the course of the past six or seven years, I have tried to take critiques of my work into perspective and become better. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I do not. I am a flawed human being who has a passion for his alma mater and a love of writing. A few weeks ago, as I was leaving the Pac-12 Championship press box and blending into the crowd I was transported back in time to the final episode of Friday Night Lights. As many know, this is a series that I absolutely watched with passion. But as I blended into the crowd, I felt sort of like Eric Taylor at the end; I knew the sun was setting and a Wordsworth poem reminded me that even a sunset has a sort of beauty that captures opportunity.

The Clouds that gather round the setting sun
Do take a sober coloring from an eye
That hath kept watch o’er man’s mortality;
Another race hath been, and other palms are won.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live,
Thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears,
To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. (Wordsworth)


I have loved every minute of covering Oregon football for AJ, Duck Sports Authority, and Rivals. I have spoken a lot of those moments in the press box for the last two home games of this season because I knew that they would possibly be my last from the press box for this staff. I have quoted at times the Tennyson poem Ulysses because it reminds me of the importance of recognizing the change we all inevitably encounter; the beauty of its fulfillment; the importance of never wondering what if.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.


These words have power over my own heart and soul because they remind me of how lucky I am to have had so many Duck fans read my work; to comment and to share their own experiences. I entered into this realm by accident, and I would not change a single thing about the last ten years of my life. This has become a part of me that will never leave.

Each and every one of our members; the frequent commenters; the dissenters; the lurkers; you have made this site what it is, and I consider it an honor to have been a part of this work. I am not gone; I am not joining another site; I am still Ducks39 at heart and will always be a member here. I will continue to cover the Polynesian Bowl. Hopefully Rivals will allow me to cover the Five Star challenge.

I also want to make sure I thank everyone for their passion, support, criticism; for their love of football; their love of our community and their dedication to what we all hold dear. There are far too many people to thank individually, but I will say share a couple of words of thanks here.

AJ, when I first came to the site, it was to honor a friend and his son’s wishes; you became a friend and mentor. I will never, ever forget some of our journeys. From the good (bacon wrapped meatloaf and a day at Applebee’s in Charlottesville) to the bad (I may still have some cactus needles buried in my back!), you have been a friend and brother. Your trust in me, your support, your compassion, and your words of advice have made me a better man. I am not sure I would be where I am today in my career and in my personal life had you not been there. I love you like a brother and will always be here for you.

Maureen (Mrs. DSA), your willingness to share your husband during football season; to be the football widow to this passion we share has made our community better. While not everyone here has had the opportunity to tailgate with you, it always meant so much to have you around for us; to break up the male dominance – and Leslie loved having another woman in our crew. Thank you very much for all you have given to DSA.

Dick Busby; you may be gone, but you will not be forgotten. I am going to have a bowl of butternut squash soup in your honor. We miss you every day and your sage words that seemed to keep us all from losing our minds at times.

Brandon – it has been so awesome to see the changes over the last 15 years. We have had some crazy times and been through a lot together. Your work for AJ is something that I know we all appreciate, and I know we will still be seeing you around. Thank you for always keeping us honest and for making this such a great place. I am going to miss conversations in the press box; but maybe now we can have more conversations at the tailgates!

Tom Corno – Best photographer in the business. So much has changed in these 10 years; and I might even down a Coors Light with you if you can make it to a tailgate next season! I think one of my favorite trips was the Pac-12 Championship game in 2019. I am not a fireball guy, but man it tasted sweet that night didn’t it?!

Some of the Rivals guys like Mike Farrell, Adam Gorney, John Talman, and Sam Spiegelman, I was some outsider who came along, and you all welcomed into the fold. You all gave me a platform and have been very gracious to me over the years. Thank you for everything, it has meant a lot that you all accepted me and my work.

SR – I won’t put your name but thank you so much for all you have done for me and for this site and for what you do with Oregon Club events. When we lost our stadium spot in 2011, you have graciously allowed us to use your spot at least once a year. I will never forget the trip home from Dallas – I was exhausted but chatting with you on that flight was just really a good chance to talk and learn more about you as a person. I will still be around and always willing to chat.

Now comes the crazy part; there were several people in traditional media who treated me well; Rob Moseley, Jason Vondersmith, Ken Goe (I knew him via track long before I wrote an article for DSA); you guys all treated me as if I were a J-School graduate; I will always appreciate your acceptance of me. Thank you so much. And, though we started off rocky, even John Canzano treated me well once I started working in the press box on a regular basis. What we do is different, and they each treated me with respect and dignity. So, thanks to all of you.

I also want to thank coaches Mike Bellotti, Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich, Willie Taggart, and Mario Cristobal. They have been gracious to some old jock who had some words to share. All five of these coaches have been kind and supportive of the work we have done along with every one of their assistant coaches. Their willingness to let me be a part of sharing stories for the last 10-plus years will always be appreciated.

Finally, I want to thank my wife. In addition to moving across the country with me (twice) for my day job, she has put up with a lot over the last 10 years. She does not make most of the trips with me; but when she does, she is a gracious co-host allowing me to chat it up with anyone and everyone who shows up. But mostly she has been a football widow. When we interviewed Mike Bellotti at the Polynesian Bowl in 2019, she told him a story which is basically that the first question I asked her was “Ducks or Beavers?” She answered correctly! When she told him that story, he laughed and said, ‘now you’re married to Duck football as well.’ Truer words have never been spoken.

Leslie puts up with a lot of me writing late at night, leaving the house early on game days to tailgate, sit in the press box and then coming home late to write some more. She has overheard nearly every call from someone about recruiting, coaching changes, and every other aspect of getting information for you all – it took up quite a few dinners! Every vacation we have had for 10 years involves working my day job and covering football. Her support during this time has made it possible. Without her love, I am just some guy wandering around.

I will continue always to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

 

0 comments: